The De La Gente volunteering program creates a hands-on learning experience about life in Guatemala with families of small, independent coffee producers. Volunteers provide support to poverty-reducing, sustainable economic development projects. De La Gente strives for a collaborative relationship between volunteers and the families and communities with whom we work.
Volunteers can work in these three areas:
- Agriculture: coffee fruit picking in the farmer’s fields, coffee bean processing in the farmer’s yard or in the roastery, clearing land for planting season, and planting coffee or other related crops
- Construction: hand-mixing cement, bending rebar, digging with shovels, and laying brick walls
- Administration: distributing marketing materials, translation, fundraising research, writing documents, or helping to organize group tours
One week minimum for volunteers. Two month minimum for internships.
- Volunteering – farmer service fee for training/managing volunteers $35 USD per week
- Project Donation Minimum $150
- Guest Lodge accommodation – meals on own $40 USD per week
- Home-stay accommodation with family – 3 meals/day $90 USD per week (avg.)
For more information about volunteering with De La Gente, visit them online:Support the business associated with this volunteer opportunity.