DUNK – Developing Unity, Nurturing Knowledge – was founded in 2011 to give children from deprived communities a sporting opportunity. It is a youth-led, community-based organization providing a safe space for children, to play, socialize, grow, and learn. Through the combination of basketball coaching, after-school tutoring, life skills training and mentoring, and educational scholarships, the young student-athletes of DUNK are encouraged to take leadership roles in their communities and to excel in and out of the classroom so to maximize their potential and become agents of change.
In addition to coaching basketball, volunteers have the opportunity to help the organization in a number of other ways depending on their interests, skills, and goals for their stay. Examples include:
- Teaching basic academic subjects and providing training on health issues or life skills topics;
- Sharing their interests in the arts, theater, writing, photography, or another suggested area;
- Organizing community outreach projects, such as “Clean Up” days; or
- Contributing to DUNK’s operations by focusing on areas such as accounting, marketing, and communications.
The duration and timing of a volunteer stay is flexible. Volunteers can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
DUNK asks that volunteers pay a fee of $500 (per month of stay) to help cover the costs of the volunteer experience as well as support the maintenance and continued development of its programs. This fee covers:
- Pre-departure support and orientation in Ghana
- Letter of initiation for your visa
- Information on vaccines and other health matters
- Transportation to and from the airport in Accra
- Lodging in Ghana
- In-country volunteer support
For more information about volunteering with DUNK - Developing Unity, Nurturing Knowledge, visit them online: