ENVenture is an incubator that empowers rural organizations to learn business skills to launch sustainable clean energy enterprises, starting in Uganda. They are focused on rural organizations that have strong community trust, are staffed and managed by locals, and are in the center of the community, but need coaching in order to launch and sustain successful enterprises.
Once accepted into the incubator, participating community based organizations receive a revolving loan to sell a variety of high quality products approved by ENVenture for distribution, such as solar energy, non-electric water filters, improved cookstoves, and fuel briquettes. In addition, ENVenture Fellows are placed with the participating organization to support the process of launching the enterprise, as well as assisting with market research and project management focused on delivery and execution. ENVenture provides entrepreneurship training to both the Fellows and the rural organizations; they undertake the packaged business concept from idea stage to execution, thereby creating the next generation of clean energy leaders.
Responsibilities as a volunteer are:
- Work with the Executive Director of a Community Based Organiztion to establish an enterprise that sells small-scale clean energy products, including but not limited to solar lights, improved cookstoves, and water filters.
- Develop relationships with local manufacturers and set up order processing and delivery.
- Accounts manage the $2000 budget loaned to the organization and ensure that all receipts, invoices, and purchase orders are accounted for and shared with ENVenture
- Work with the Executive Director and his/her staff to create a marketing campaign around the enterprise.
- Determine future orders, costs, profitability, and margins, as well as cash flow.
- Maintain progress reports with ENVenture, and at the end of the position, submit a summary of all work done during the time with ENVenture and the partner.
Please inquire through the website: www.enventureenterprises.org
All positions depend on skills you bring to the table. Most positions start with a three month minimum. Contact EnVenture directly for more information.
Volunteers often cover their own expenses, but this varies depending on the position.
For more information about volunteering with ENVenture, visit them online: