The Floating Doctors Mission is to reduce the present and future burden of disease in the developing world,and to promote improvements in health care delivery worldwide. The organization maintains a ship, which it sails throughout the Caribbean to provide free acute and preventative health care services and delivering donated medical supplies to isolated areas.
Volunteers for Floating Doctors include a variety of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, but the organization welcomes anyone with a positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, and a desire to help others. Medical students, engineers, public health researchers, and ship crew are all needed. The organization prides itself on welcoming every set of willing hands, however, and “maximizing the experience of our volunteers to express their particular talent in a way that brings the most help to [their] patients.”
A working knowledge of the Spanish language is a requirement for this volunteer opportunity. The program also offers internships of 6+ months or more.
They accept a huge range of medical professions, including:
- Licensed Doctor, Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Practice Nurse, or Physician’s Assistant
- Medical / P.A. /N.P. / Nursing/A.P.N. Student
- Pharmacists & Pharmacy Students
- Dentist, Dental Nurse/Hygienist/Tech/Assistant or Student
- Veterinarian, Veterinary Nurse/Tech/Assistant or Student
- Physiotherapist/Occupational Therapist or Student
- EMTs, Paramedics, Firefighters, Military and First Responders
- Acupuncturist or Massage Therapist
Volunteers with Floating Doctors are welcomed for stays as short as one week up to six months or longer. Internships start at 6+ months.
A minimum donation for volunteers is requested. As of 2018, long-term volunteer average costs were $550 per week. This donation covers your housing, in-country transportation, and all multi-day clinic food and activities. No salary for medical professionals is offered at this time. Internships (6+ months) use a different fee structure.
Volunteers are responsible for obtaining their own transportation and travel insurance.
For more information about volunteering with Floating Doctors, visit them online: