Nija’nu A.C. is a Mexican non-profit organization supporting elders in the Mixtec region of the State of Oaxaca that for various reasons live in poverty with little or no family support. Volunteers are needed in a broad range of fields, from healthcare workers to dance teachers to companionship providers to construction workers — and more.
Nija’nu works to alleviate immediate needs such as hunger and unsafe living conditions for elders living in Santo Domingo Tonalá and surrounding villages. With a deep commitment to providing elders with a dignified way of life, Nija’nu A.C. provides monthly food aid, specialized healthcare visits, and works toward improving the elders’ living spaces.
The organization accepts volunteers in a range of areas:
- Massage therapists
- Physicians (all areas)
- Reiki givers
- Arts and crafts teachers – to offer variety
- Companions for our Elders – to simply visit & chat, take them on an outing, read to them, help with chores, run errands
- Dance teachers
- Adult literacy teachers
- Music teachers
- Yoga teachers
- Builders: Community needs lots of bathrooms
- Electricians: Most homes have scary electrical wiring
- Gardeners: To beautify the outdoor spaces
- House painters: From small to larger projects
- Marketing specialists
Depends on the type of volunteering and services you can provide to the community!
Free to volunteer, but volunteers will cover their own expenses in the community.
For more information about volunteering with Nija’nu, visit them online: