Pina Palmera has spent more than 30 years bringing human rights to disabled persons from rural communities. They work within a majority of indigenous communities and with people of all ages. They are located on the southern coast of Oaxaca State in San Pedro Pochutla. They offer rehabilitation processes, social inclusion, information, education and awareness workshops. Volunteers are needed to help run all aspects of the organization, as well in specialized areas of physical therapy and rehabilitation.
The organization offers programs that teach people to use adaptive equipment and therapeutic techniques as well as to take care of people with disabilities. The goal of all programs is that children and adults with disabilities become more included into everyday life, both in their own family as well as in their community.
Volunteers take part in the day-to-day work of Piña Palmera. This includes participating in running all the areas of the center:
- The kitchen
- The special care unit,
- The store
- The recycled paper workshop
- The orchard
- The maintenance department
- The carpentry shot
- The therapy and community-based rehabilitation areas
The volunteer position is flexible and the specific activities each volunteer engages in will depend on skills, abilities, profession and the centers needs. If the volunteer is a physical therapist or a rehabilitation professional, they are still asked to integrate with the other volunteers in all the areas, irrespective of their specialty.
Volunteer requirements include:
- Volunteers must be 20 years of age or older.
- Volunteers must have read the Volunteer Manual and comply with the requirements listed therein.
- Volunteers must be open to communal living experiences.
- Volunteers must be interested in the topics of disability and rural issues. It is not necessary to have experience working with these issues!
- Volunteers must be willing to learn and speak Spanish.
Volunteers are asked to stay six months at least; volunteers are expected to secure a volunteer visa from a Mexican Embassy to volunteer.
$300 pesos per month (US $20) for volunteers staying here at least six months. The accommodation is within our center in dormitories with light meals included and access to a kitchen.
For more information about volunteering with Pina Palmera, visit them online: