Safe Haven provides intervention and support for children with disabilities and medical issues, giving them access to the medical and therapeutic resources they need. The organization needs occupational therapists in a wide range of specialties.
Training for some specialties simply doesn’t exist in Cambodia (such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, early intervention/special education) but those disciplines are certainly needed. For that reason, the medical complex welcomes volunteers. Below are the skilled volunteering positions available at Safe Haven:
- Social Workers who have experience working with families and children of all ages.
- All professionals are welcome.
- Male social workers are encouraged to apply.
- Pediatric Occupational Therapists
- Pediatric Speech Therapists
- Pediatric Physical Therapists
- Pediatric Nurses with Palliative Care experience
- Early Interventionists/Special Educators, particularly those with expertise regarding
- autism and early intervention for children with hearing and vision impairments
For each position, volunteers should have at least 3-5 years of experience in their field, and should preferably have experience working in home-based services. Volunteers will need to submit criminal background checks and resumes to verify experience.
Two full weeks would be the absolute minimum, though longer periods are preferable. Safe Haven works Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm with a 90 minute break in the mid-day.
There is no fee to volunteer. Volunteers are required to cover their own food and accommodation in Siem Reap throughout the duration of their time volunteering — Siem Reap has a range of options for everything from bare-bones hostels accommodation to apartment rentals, and more.
For more information about volunteering with Safe Haven, visit them online: